These have the perfect amount of chewyness (and you can omit the nuts if you want to)
Makes 16-20 bars
Ready in 40 mins + cooling time
Each bar carries about 225 calories, 12g fat and 5.5g salt
150g light brown (e.g. muscovado) sugar
3tbsp golden syrup
250g rolled oats
100g mixed nuts and seeds (nuts roughly chopped), eg: sunflower seeds, pecans, brazils, almonds)
(if you don’t want nuts, just make up the whoe quantity with seeds)
100g mixed fruit, roughly chopped (eg: cranberries, glace cherries, apricots, sultanas etc.)
1 Heat oven to Mark 4/180°C.
2. Lightly oil a 2Ix31cm brownie/Swiss roll tin. (Alternatively line it with grease-proof paper, being careful to get a good fit.)
3. In a pan, gently melt the butter, sugar and syrup together until liquid. The cool for 2 mins. (we put it in cold water the sink)
4. Meanwhile, mix the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. (Thorough mixing is important)
5. Spoon the mixture into the tin and press it down firmly until no crevices are left at all. A metal spoon does this well and you will need to keep it wet all the time. It’s particularly important to press into the corners and along the sides.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden.
7. Remove it from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 15 mins.
8. Score into bars, using a sharp knife and cutting about half way down the cooked mixture. Then leave to cool completely.
9. Turn out the flapjacks from the tin, and complete the cutting into bars.
They keep well, so long as the container is air tight.